Question about tape backup of online database.

From: "Robert B(dot) Easter" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question about tape backup of online database.
Date: 2000-07-05 21:46:59
Lists: pgsql-general

I'd like to know what hardware and software people use to perform tape backup
of an online database on Linux. I would imagine the following might work(?):

1. Use RAID mirroring of the disk the db is on onto 2 two or more other
disks.
2. When it is time to do the backup, disconnect one of the disks from the
mirror and then dump the whole disk partition to a tape(s).
3. Reconnect the disk back to the mirror and let it begin rebuilding.

Right now, I don't even have SCSI! If you can tell me your setup and
backup procedure, I'd be grateful.

--
Robert