RE: Regression on PostgreSQL 10 ORDER/GROUP BY expression not found in targetlist

From: "Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: "'David Rowley'" <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Regression on PostgreSQL 10 ORDER/GROUP BY expression not found in targetlist
Date: 2018-06-29 17:30:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 29 June 2018 at 21:06, Regina Obe <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us> wrote:
> > I think the exact query that is triggering it is this one though I
> > don't have PostgreSQL 10 head installed locally to confirm.
> >
> > SELECT 't3280', 'L1b' || topology.TopoGeo_AddLinestring('bug3280',
> > geom) FROM bug3280.edge where edge_id = 1 ORDER BY 1;
>
> Can you try in REL_10_STABLE? There was a fix committed [1] for something
> very similar just a week ago.
>
> [1]
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=a4c95b0b80
> c70677c09c0d5c82a6fba875160288
>
> --
> David Rowley http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Thanks for this input. I guess I was mistaken about the commit that caused this
and it's most likely this one since this one fails as well.

Here is a trivial example to exercise that doesn't involve PostGIS.

CREATE TABLE edge AS SELECT 1 AS edge_id;
SELECT 't3280', 'L1b' || generate_series(1,10)
FROM edge
ORDER BY 1;

Now that said, I think I should change our test since it's using questionable assumptions anyway.
My only concern with this issue is that it's behavior that was allowed before in 10 a stable branch
and it's changing in a micro release.

I doubt few others would be bitten by though, but probably still worthwhile to put a note about it in the upcoming release notes
if this new behavior is kept.

Thanks,
Regina Obe