pg_hba.conf is driving me nuts

From: "Klay Martens" <kmartens(at)wol(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_hba.conf is driving me nuts
Date: 2007-12-15 09:11:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,
I was not quite sure if this is the right forum for this question (if it
aint.oh well).

I have had a postgresql server up and running smoothly for 1.5 years now -
no problems at all..but:
I now need to be able to administer the server remotely, as well as allow
remote logins from a WAN.
Now, I have set up all the appropriate port forwarding, made sure that there
are no problems with firewalls on the server.but the dratted thing will not
allow any connections from a remote pgAdmin.
I am fairly sure this is a result of a problem with pf_hba.conf.Can anyone
advise how to configure pg_hba.conf to permit connections from any subnet
and ip? I know this is not really a good idea, but if the connection works,
at least then I know where the problem is! As it is, I cannot be sure
exactly where the connection failure is. Very annoying!