ColdFusion Remote PostgreSQL

From: "Summer S(dot) Wilson" <collectonian(at)eclectic-world(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ColdFusion Remote PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-09-25 18:17:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

On a project at work, we are trying to go with PostgreSQL as our database
instead of our original choice of Oracle (because Oracle on Linux is just
too buggy). Our set up has the database on a separate server. Its running
slackware Linux with PostgreSQL (OBDC enabled, along with TCL, perl,
OpenSSL, Java and Syslog). Installation is done, the first database created
and everything is working great on that end.

Our other server, for the actual web side of things, is running Win2K with
ColdFusion 5. I installed the PostgreSQL drivers and was able to add it to
the system DNS with no problem. However, the ColdFusion Administrator
doesn't recognize offer the PostgreSQL driver as an option in the datasource
area. Now, when we put in the PostgreSQL datasource it replaced the testing
one of Access we had been using, so CF can see it as a datasource, lists
PostgreSQL as its driver, but is unable to connect to the datasource. How
can I get ColdFusion to recognize the Postgre DNS connection and properly
utilize it? I've searched the net but so far the only answers I've found
have been for CF Linux on the same server as Postgre.

Any help appreciated, since I'm quickly becoming a fan of Postgre and would
love to use it for this project,

Summer S. Wilson ICQ 26835530
Programmer/Analyst I, EIT TCE
Webmaster, An Eclectic World http://eclectic-world.com