RE: access97-Recordset not updatable

From: "Brian Haney" <brian(at)cybernaut(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: RE: access97-Recordset not updatable
Date: 1999-12-14 20:36:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Kevin wrote, in part:

> I can create the DSN on my windows98 machine and have configure the
> driver so that all read-only options are NOT selected. Using Access97,
> I have no problem viewing table data from the Postgres server, but
> whenever I try to modify an entry, I get the error: This Recordset is
> not updatable.

I found the same problem using Excel 97. It went away after I installed the
latest Micro$oft Data Access Components and Office 97 Service Releases 1 and
2a. I just noticed that 2b is out now. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it,
but mine seems to work.

There are additional pre-reqs: Your table must have a unique index (a
primary key will do) and the recordset must be of type Dynaset (the default,
I think). I have not succeeded in updating views, however, even with unique
indices and appropriate rules for insert and update events on those views.

Please let me know if you have success and if this information solved the
problem.

MDAC:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/dasdk/mdac/2.1.2.4202.3/W9XNT4/EN-US/
mdac_typ.exe

Office 97 Service Releases:
http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/Articles/sr2fact.htm

--Brian Haney
brian(at)cybernaut(dot)com www.cybernaut.com
President 800-762-8849
CyberNautix, Inc. UNIX and Internet Solutions for the Digital Economy