Caching number of blocks in relation to avoi lseek.

From: Denis Perchine <dyp(at)perchine(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Caching number of blocks in relation to avoi lseek.
Date: 2000-06-12 16:28:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hello all,

While digging the code I found out quite interesting comment in
src/backend/access/heap/hio.c before function RelationPutHeapTupleAtEnd

* Eventually, we should cache the number of blocks in a relation somewhere.
* Until that time, this code will have to do an lseek to determine the number
* of blocks in a relation.

As far as I can see there's field rd_nblocks in Relation.

Question: is this field properly updated? Could it be used instead of RelationGetNumberOfBlocks
which calls lseek.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine