current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

From: "Vang" <vyang(at)apt-cafm(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
Date: 2007-05-29 21:04:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I'm using PostgreSQL 8.0 and Java in NetBeans IDE. In java I have a method that does a "insert into" and it throws a "duplicate key violates unique constraint." I call that method once and then call another method which does a "select." However, when the select method gets called postgres throws a "current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block." I've read some of the mailing list and it says if I set on_error_rollback to on it'll work; but when I use sql(from netbeans) to set it, it doesn't recognize on_error_rollback. My statement is as follows:
set on_error_rollback = on

Does version 8.0 not have on_error_rollback? Is there another way of handling this. Any help is much appreciated.

vyang