START WITH and CONNECT BY

From: "Stephen Schwenker" <saschwen(at)schwenker(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: START WITH and CONNECT BY
Date: 2005-04-07 22:27:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello,

Has anyone considdered adding the START WITH and CONNECT BY functionallity that Oracle has. I've been developing for many years now and I find that almost every application we build requires some kind of hierarchical structure. I know there are other ways of accomplishing this in Postgresql, but I've always found it to be more work than using something simple like the Oracle START WITH/CONNECT BY clause.

It's been over 5 years since I've done any c/c++ development but it might be a little fun to work on. So I was wondering where would be the best place for someone to start if they were to considder developing this functionallity?

Thank you