Re: Uninstalling PostgreSQL

From: "- Barry -" <mail(at)polisource(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Frank Seesink" <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Uninstalling PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-06-24 08:32:46
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

> > Already tried all that. I couldn't get lower than usr/share/data. I
>
> Hmmm. Sounds like you're reading out of date instructions. The
> default has been /var/postgresql/data for a bit now. Used to be
> /usr/share/postgresql/data.

Looks like I do have a lower (higher?) level directory. I guess I missed it
the first time. You could see my cygwin directory tree and the related
pop-ups at http://www.polisource.com/PublicMisc/Cygwin_Problem.html

> I'm referring to the 'Security' tab where you
> specify who the owner of a file/directory is, and what rights each user
> has.

I didn't see a security tab, but I've been trying the options in the
"sharing and security" item in the right-click menu.

> "after trying to delete /cygwin from the postgres user's account
> (before I deleted the account)"? What does this mean? You do not
> delete a directory from an account. Windows is a monolithic directory
> structure, where you have permissions set on who can access what
> folder/file. If you deleted C:\cygwin, it's gone from the system, not
> from an account. You do understand this, right?

I meant that I logged on as postgres and tried to delete the cygwin
directory. "From" as in where I was, not where I wanted the file to
disappear from.

> Do you see processes with image names like 'cygrunsrv.exe',
> 'cygserver.exe', 'ipc-daemon2.exe' or 'postgres.exe'?

Nope. A snapshot of my task manager window is on the page I linked to above.

> If Cygwin is only taking 8K, then likely you simply need to learn how
> to take ownership of a file/directory and then set the rights of that
> file/directory so you, as your current user, have rights to hose it.
> This is a Windows level issue, not Cygwin.
> You do not seem to grasp this concept, though.

Yes, I figured I should have that right. I found some Windows utilities that
let me use chown and chmod, but I haven't tried them, plus I know chown and
chmod work from Cygwin, and up until today it looked like they worked
natively at the Windows command prompt. From what people say, it sounded
like I would find the proper tool in the right click menu. I tried.

Not long ago, when I was confused by soft links, or some such beast made a
cygwin file seem to not exist when I looked for it with a Windows tool,
someone told me not to treat Cygwin stuff like Windows stuff and to use the
Cygwin console to find it. Since I'm working with Cygwin-related directories
now, I thought maybe I should use Cygwin commands, but I'll take whatever
advice I could get because for the last two weeks it seems that I couldn't
get anything to work.

> If you are truly logged
> into Windows NT/2000/XP as a user who is either the built-in
> Administrator account or a user that is a member of the 'Administrators'
> group (meaning you're just as powerful as the Administrator account),
> you are "god on the box" as it were. All you have to do is take
> ownership of the Cygwin files/folders, then set the rights so you have
> 'Full Control'. Then delete them.

Under "User Accounts", there are two entries: "Owner computer
administrator" and "Guest guest account is off." I'm the Owner. But somehow,
I don't feel very powerful.

Barry