Re: can't start postmaster as service

From: "Andy Lowe" <andyl(at)dmetrix(dot)com>
To: "'Jason Tishler'" <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: can't start postmaster as service
Date: 2003-03-06 17:08:51
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

>The above looks fine -- the name is just "pgdata" instead of the more
conventional "data".
I had an old test database living in the data directory, and figured I
would use a clean directory.

>> I'm able to start postmaster from the command line as the postgres
>> user. The service just fails to start, giving error 1062. As you
>> noted below, this is not good. Is there a known cause for this error

>> and (hopefully) a solution?
>
>Do you see anything interesting in /var/log/postmaster.log? In the NT
>Event Log?
Yeah, there were a couple of interesting things in the event log. The
short version is that it looks like I made a typeo when I installed the
service, so uninstalling and reinstalling it worked.

I had previously been running 7.2.1 from my normal user account. When I
installed 7.3.2, it looks like permissions on the log file didn't get
set to allow the postgres user to have access to it. That's probably
just one of those things that people aren't supposed to do, but if
someone does do it, the postmaster log won't end up having anything in
it from the newer installation. Of course, the only time postgres has
problems is when people like me do things we're not supposed to, so it's
probably not a big deal :)

Thanks for the help.

Andy