simple query triggers abnormal termination

From: "Sean Carmody" <sean(at)categoricalsolutions(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: simple query triggers abnormal termination
Date: 1999-11-05 05:22:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I recently posted a problem to the novice list, but as the suggested fixes
didn't
solve my problem, I thought it may be time to escalate to the bug list.
Apologies
if the escalation is premature.

In short:

- I'm running PostgreSQL 6.5.2 under Linux kernel 2.0.35/Redhat 5.2.
- A simple select query caused pgsql to terminate with the following
message:

before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is
impossible. Terminating.

- The abnormal termination suggests that the root of the problem is not my
rough SQL.
- The details are in the thread from the novice list attached below.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Sean Carmody

-- Thread attached -------

> > On Friday, 5 November 1999, Robert J. Sprawls wrote
> >
> > On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Sean Carmody wrote:
> >
> > > I'm posting this to the novice list rather than the bug
> > > list just in case in just doing something foolish. The
> > > problem I had is as follows:
> >
> > [snip]

(An aside to un-snip the full problem again...)

I created a table something like this:

test:

Date Name Age
Wed Nov 03 19:11:21 1999 EST Sean 30
Wed Nov 03 19:11:21 1999 EST Sean 30
Wed Nov 03 19:11:21 1999 EST Sean 30
Wed Nov 03 19:11:21 1999 EST Sean 30
Wed Nov 03 19:11:22 1999 EST Sean 30
Wed Nov 03 19:11:22 1999 EST Sean 30
Wed Nov 03 19:11:36 1999 EST Sean 30
Wed Nov 03 19:11:45 1999 EST Sean 30
Wed Nov 03 19:35:28 1999 EST Chris 30
Wed Nov 03 19:35:33 1999 EST Chris 30
Wed Nov 03 19:35:35 1999 EST Chris 30
Wed Nov 03 19:11:20 1999 EST Dom 33
Wed Nov 03 19:11:20 1999 EST Dom 33
Wed Nov 03 19:11:20 1999 EST Dom 33

I then created the following view:

CREATE VIEW last_date AS SELECT max(date) AS last_date FROM test

Checking this with "SELECT * from last_date" gave (as expected)

last_date
----------------------------
Wed Nov 03 19:11:20 1999 EST
(Row 1)

The following command then resulted in an abnormal termination

SELECT test.* FROM test,last_date WHERE date=last_date

Now back to the thread...

> > > The following command then resulted in a crash:
> > >
> > > SELECT test.* FROM test,last_date WHERE date=last_date
> > ^^^^^^
> > Ah, your using an alias, but I don't see you declaring an alias
anywhere.

[snip]

> > Yes, you using test.* as an alias to test yet you didn't declare an
alias.
> > An example would be:
> >
> > SELECT t.date, t.name, t.age FROM test t, last_date l WHERE t.date =
> > l.date;

> Anyway, I gave your suggestion a try, or at least I tried the following:

> SELECT t.date, t.name, t.age FROM test t, max_date l WHERE t.date =
l.last_date;