Re: Proposal for enhancements of privilege system

From: Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for enhancements of privilege system
Date: 2000-05-28 08:12:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > pg_privilege (
> > priobj oid,
> > prigrantor oid,
> > prigrantee oid,
> > priaction char,
> > priisgrantable boolean,
> >
> > primary key (priobj, prigrantee, priaction)
> > )
> >

> I like it.

Imho this is an area where it does make sense to look at what other db's do,
because it makes the toolwriters life so much easier if pg behaves like some other
common db. Thus I do not really like a standalone design.

Other db's usually use a char array for priaction and don't have priisgrantable,
but code it into priaction. Or they use a bitfield. This has the advantage of only
producing one row per table.

Andreas