Re: Fwd: Re: SQL3 UNDER

From: "Robert B(dot) Easter" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: SQL3 UNDER
Date: 2000-05-24 17:19:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> "Robert B. Easter" wrote:
> >
> > I've started posting this OO stuff to pgsql-hackers-oo(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)
>
> Where can I subscribe to that list ?

Just send a message to pgsql-hackers-oo-request(at)postgresql(dot)org
with subject "subscribe"

> The OO-PostgreSQL discussion is not even near being over ...

Well, I hope some one sees my point about INHERITS and UNDER
maybe being complementary. UNDER is a single inheritance container/tree all
contained inside maximal supertable. INHERITS provides multiple inheritance
and can provide links between tables in different containers/trees, subject to
some restrictions. I think it deserves some looking at rather than just doing
away with INHERIT for just UNDER. (again I can be wrong). I guess its hard to
explain. I still need to provide good examples. I can best describe the
difference as UNDER creates circles within circles representing tables and
subtables. INHERITS provides for circles/tables to overlap (to be cloned in a
sense) and allows it multiple overlapping/merging. The INHERITS does it as it
is now that way, by merging same name attributes from two or more parents into a
single child. INHERIT is like cells reproducing using one or n parents.
UNDER is like a single cell making baby cells inside of itself. :-) hehe