RE: BUG #16920: Can't compile PostGIS with MingW64 against PostgreSQL 14 head

From: "Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Heikki Linnakangas'" <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: RE: BUG #16920: Can't compile PostGIS with MingW64 against PostgreSQL 14 head
Date: 2021-03-15 00:31:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I came across a very relevant mingw bug report:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/bugs/465/
>
> in which they were trying to clear an 8-byte jmp_buf field with a 4-byte
> instruction. That would go a long way towards explaining the sort of
> problems we're seeing ... except it was fixed five years ago.
> I trust none of the buildfarm animals are still using old mingw versions.
>
> regards, tom lane

The mingw64 gcc 8.1.0/msys2 I am using granted is not a spring chicken. I
don't think it's 5 years old, but could be.

That said I did download the latest mingw64/msys2 package:

gcc.exe (Rev6, Built by MSYS2 project) 10.2.0

and I encountered the same crashers using the same configure when compiling.

Maybe it has more to do with the MSVCRT which mingw just uses what is on the
system - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
I'm running windows 10 which should have a fairly recent MSVCRT. I wonder
if things would be different on windows 2019.

Thanks,
Regina