Performance Expectations

From: "Derek Hamilton" <derek(at)capweb(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Performance Expectations
Date: 2003-04-18 18:24:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all,

We're using PostgresQL with a fairly large database (about 2GB). I have one
table that currently exceeds 4.5 million records and will probably grow to
well over 5 fairly soon. The searching of this table is basically done on
one field, which field I have set up a btree index on. My question is, if I
search this table and get the results back in about 6-7 seconds is that
pretty good, not so good...? What are the things I should look at in
determining the performance on this?

BTW, forgive the lack of information. I'd be happy to post more info on the
table, hardware, etc. I just didn't want to overwhelm the initial question.

Thanks,
Derek Hamilton