RE: [HACKERS] Caution: tonight's commits force initdb

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Caution: tonight's commits force initdb
Date: 1999-08-23 23:53:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

Thanks for your good jobs.

After applying this change,I tested some cases.
For a table t,explain shows

explain select * from t;

NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on t (cost=1716.32 rows=27131 width=612)

And with ORDER BY clause

explain select * from t order by key;

NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Index Scan using t_pkey on t (cost=2284.55 rows=27131 width=612)

Hmm,Index scan is chosen to select all rows.
AFAIK,sequential scan + sort is much faster than index scan in
most cases.

cost of index scan < cost of sequential scan + cost of sort

I have felt that the current cost estimation of index scan is too small,
though I have no alternative.

Comments ?

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp