Re: Counting distinct names

From: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Counting distinct names
Date: 2000-04-20 02:13:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
> "G. Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu> writes:
> > Thanks Tom. I'll eventually upgrade, but still am a little wary considering
> > how many messages hackers continues to get on beta5. Perhaps, when 7.1 is
> > out I'll feel a little more secure about the upgrade.
>
> You meant 7.0.1, no? 7.1 will be a new major release with its own bugs...
>
> Seriously, despite the amount of traffic about 7.0 issues, I believe
> that 7.0 beta is already considerably more reliable than any prior
> release ever was; and I believe the other developers share that opinion.
> If you think 6.5.* is bug-free then you haven't been paying attention ;-).
> We've fixed a huge number of problems since 6.5. Furthermore, how are
> we going to flush out remaining issues if people don't try it? You're
> not doing yourself or anyone else a service by staying away from 7.0.

OK, here are my comments and questions after just a very short play
yesterday evening with 7.0RC1. ( should I be getting the snapshot? )

1) There are files on the ftp sites which seem to be the "whole thing"
and what I suppose is the "whole thing" cut up into smaller sections.

Am I correct? Or do I need to d/l the smaller files as well?
A README_for_Download might be a good idea.

2) I couldn't find a --database-dir=[/var/lib/pgsql/data] option in the output
from ./configure --help. How can one configure pg to place it's database in a
defined place in the file system? btw the default of /var/lib/pgsql/data seems
pretty sensible.

3) Some of the scripts and binary files for the subsiduary tools have to be
installed by hand. If you need to know what, I'd be happy to re-install pg and
take notes.

4) For my tiny ultra-simple database it "just goes". ( On SuSE-6.3 )

5) Is the idea of putting the data on a raw partition on the horizon?

Thanks for a wonderful product.

--
Sincerely etc.,

NAME Christopher Sawtell - iOpen Technologies Ltd.
CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
ICQ UIN 45863470
EMAIL chris @ iopen . co . nz, csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
WWW http://www.iopen.co.nz
CNOTES ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

-->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me <<--