Re: connectivity to database been an issue for me.

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: "'Scott Marlowe'" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: connectivity to database been an issue for me.
Date: 2005-03-30 17:34:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

You've got a networking problem, not postgresql, I'd bet. Do the logs
on the server show anything odd, like crashing backends?

I do not see any crashes and when connected from inside the data center I
don't have any issues.

Times I see an issue are when we pump any data (large result set, restore,
etc) over the DSL connection the ping to inside the data center or just to a
public site like yahoo starts to time out. So I am guessing I am losing
connectivity from my development site (using verizon DSL). I use the same
connection to my current data center running MSSQL and have experienced some
issue, but nothing like I get with PGadmin. I have seen using enterprise
manager doing work I occasionally see it drop the connection. I am not
suggesting this is a postgres issue, I believe it is when the pipe is over
the 1.5 down or 394 up I lose connection (should happen if it is a
pcanywhere transfer, ftp, sql data set etc.). But I will say I do not seem
to get disconnected from MSSQL using enterprise manager very often, while I
get disconnected from pgadmin every time I ask for large data set. This
might be because the postgres is on a much faster box and is pumping more
data.

But the question is two items.
1. Is there a posgres admin tool not so fussy about connection (re-connects
automatically if its just a blip in connectivity; like a ping timing out is
just one ping several are fine then blip time out, back to fine for 6 or 7
pings then blip time out.)?
2. does anyone have experience with this type of issue, will getting either
2 mb connectivity with breakfree, or a point to point T1 to the data center
help with losing connectivity when larger data sets are requested.
My main concern is with getting replication set up and if this issue will
have a disasterous effect on trying to establish that.