Re: Developing a forms based web application

From: "Reshat Sabiq" <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: <paul(at)entropia(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'Steve McAllister'" <stevemca(at)optushome(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Developing a forms based web application
Date: 2003-01-31 00:59:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

I would prefer to stay away
from Java if I can.
-------------
If in the future you have a chance of scaling the application up to real
enterprise system, moving your web app to a different OS, ... Java is
the best approach. I could talk about advantages of Java for a long
time. There are also a couple of disadvantages, however:
1) Perfect for server-side and currently the only real applet option,
but not perfect on client side in its standards-based shape (swing,
awt). I'm sure you'll see a lot of improvements on the client side too,
however, both in swing, and in alternative approaches very soon.
Besides, you always have JNI to couple your Java with native code.
2) A little bit of a learning curve, especially as you move from simple
web applications to real J2EE.

To wrap up, this might be a radical vision, but to me it appears the
future currently lies in Java and .Net, each with its own set of +s and
-s. Since .Net is not portable and not scalable, and is in fact a
Windows-based copy of Java, I stay a staunch supporter of Java.

Sincerely,
r.