SELECT TOP _x_ ??

From: "Justin Long" <justinlong(at)strategicnetwork(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: SELECT TOP _x_ ??
Date: 1999-04-22 14:33:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

In Microsoft SQL Server you could issue a command

SELECT TOP 5 * FROM database...

The top 5 indicator would mean to take the top 5 records that matched the
criteria. I can't seem to find any way to do this in PostgreSQL. I have a
database of 385 records (which will grow rapidly over the next few months)
and it takes better than 5 seconds to SELECT from the 385 and then use a
while loop to display the top 4. I can't imagine what it will be like when
we reach, say, 10,000 records! So any suggestions for selecting just the top
5 and speeding the process up a bit?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Respond here or to
JustinLong(at)strategicnetwork(dot)org ...

Never retreat. Never surrender. Never cut a deal with a dragon.
Justin Long CIO / Site Editor
616 Station Square Ct Network for Strategic Missions
Chesapeake, VA 23320 977 Centerville Trnpk CSB 317
JustinLong(at)xc(dot)org Va Beach, VA 23463
Check out our site at: http://www.strategicnetwork.org