HELP pg_proc is corrupted!

From: Timothy Covell <dirac(at)applink(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, dirac(at)applink(dot)net
Subject: HELP pg_proc is corrupted!
Date: 2000-08-30 00:41:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

OK, I before any starts on my about backups...I have one a week
old, but I want to fix this the right way! (and I want this past
week's worth of data.

What happened:

o downloaded ip and macaddr type programs written by Paul Vixie
et al., scrapped the ip stuff, and compiled the macaddr stuff.
Ran the included sql script to load the "mac.so" file, create
the custom macaddr type in and out functions, etc. At this
point everything is good.

o downloaded latest copy of IEEE MAC Address to Vendor list.
Updated the mac.h file and recompiled the module.

o Dropped all the functions and the types.

o Re-ran the SQL script to create the handler, type, functions, etc
after putting the new mac.so module in the proper path.

o All hell breaks loose:
o use functions are missing from pgaccess
o pg_dump dies with invalid OID number(s)
o multiple instances of macaddr definitions in pg_proc...

o Tried to fix this with a reindex, but I was told that I had
to drop the DB into single user mode, I tried this but the directions
don't jive with pg_ctl nor with postmaster. I can't figure how to
get to single mode....

Questions:

1. How do I to get the DB into single user mode?

2. How can I fix this problem?

TIA.

tim
dirac(at)applink(dot)net