Re: Unique Constraint with foreign Key

From: "Greg Patnude" <gpatnude(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "'Jan Wieck'" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unique Constraint with foreign Key
Date: 2004-02-17 17:22:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

You've got it wrong when you reference the data column (a.x) -- your
foreign key should reference the primary key in the referenced table
(a.y)...

Besides, in your table A -- 1, 99 2, 99 violates your unique constraint
on column 'X' -- it would never happen...

What I suggested is like this:

create table a (

y integer not null primary key default nextval('nexta_seq'),
x varchar not null UNIQUE

);

create table b (

z integer not null PRIMARY KEY default nextval('nextbz_seq'),
x integer NOT NULL REFERENCES a(y),

);

Table A would have

1, 99
2, 99
..

99,99

and table B would have

1, 1
1, 2
..
1, 99

Greg Patnude / The Digital Demention
2916 East Upper Hayden Lake Road
Hayden Lake, ID. 83835
(208) 762-0762

Send replies to: gpatnude(at)adelphia(dot)net