Remote login to the database

From: "vijayendra mohan agrawal" <vijayendra(dot)agrawal(at)wipro(dot)com>
Subject: Remote login to the database
Date: 2001-04-25 11:10:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Sorry if the question is too preliminary.

I want to know if we can login to the database running at the server from
any place. I know I have to allow such access thru pg_hba.conf file. But how
do I connect to the database.

Can I do something like :

pgsql database(at)serverIP where serverIP can be any valid IP address in the
LAN.

OR

pgsql database(at)connect_string where connect string is defined in some of the
configuration file.

Please revert back

Thanks and regards
Vijay