Re: how to use recursion to find end nodes of a tree

From: <mike(at)mikeandems(dot)com>
To: "'Yasir Malik'" <ymalik(at)cs(dot)stevens(dot)edu>, <ross(dot)johnson(at)homemail(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to use recursion to find end nodes of a tree
Date: 2006-04-11 18:00:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thankyou very much Yasir and Ross for your help and advice.
I have created a pl/pgsql version of Yasirs algorithm which
works perfectly, I am also looking into improving efficiency
by flaging leaf records. Here is my pl/pgsql solution in case
it helps anyone out:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION parentchildtest(int4)
RETURNS _int4 AS
'DECLARE
node ALIAS FOR $1;
s INTEGER[];
leaves INTEGER[];
top INTEGER;
counter INTEGER;
leaf_id INTEGER;
popped INTEGER;
child RECORD;
childCount RECORD;
BEGIN
leaf_id := 0;
top := 0;
s := ''{}'';
leaves := ''{}'';
s[top] := node;
counter := 1;

-- t a depth first search
WHILE (counter <> 0) LOOP
popped := s[top];
top := top - 1;
counter := counter - 1;

FOR child IN SELECT pc.child_id FROM parent_child AS pc
WHERE pc.parent_id = popped
LOOP
SELECT INTO childCount COUNT(*) AS count FROM parent_child AS pc
WHERE pc.parent_id = child.child_id;

--a count of zero indicates that child node has no children
IF (childCount.count = 0) THEN
leaves[leaf_id] = child.child_id;
leaf_id := leaf_id + 1;
ELSE
-- not a leaf, so add it to the stack for the next time
through
-- the loop
top := top + 1;
s[top] = child.child_id;