Re: [ADMIN] bugs?

From: Lincoln Spiteri <lincoln(dot)spiteri(at)st(dot)com>
To: michel(at)enter(dot)it, michel(at)michel(dot)enter(dot)it, Lincoln(dot)SPITERI(at)st(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] bugs?
Date: 2000-01-12 08:33:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, michel(at)michel(dot)enter(dot)it wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Lincoln Spiteri wrote:
> > Or maybe you are not good for massice application :)
> >

> ok. my mistake is massice=big..
> but the problem remain and your email is lessfull.

Sorry if I offend you but what I disliked specificaly about your post is the
sweeping remark;

"If there is no way I think that postgresql is not good for massice
application"

If you are managing a massive/big application then you should be more careful
about what you delete and make sure you have backups. Say you were
administering such an application and had root access to the server and by
mistake you delete something which makes the OS unrunnable, say libc or
something like that. Would you then write to a list and proclaim that if there
is nothing you can do about it then Linux is not good for big applications? I
think many would beg to differ and question your suitability to manage a big
application. You should know the risks.

OTOH perhaps it would be good to have some documentation stating which files
are critical to normal running of the system.

Lincoln Spiteri

Manufacturing Systems
STMicroelectronics, Malta

e-mail: lincoln(dot)spiteri(at)st(dot)com