Postgresql-query for absolute beginner

From: Meike Börder <boerder(at)uni-landau(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql-query for absolute beginner
Date: 2012-08-20 10:55:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hey folks,

as you may have guessed from the title, I’m an absolute beginner using
PostgreSQL and I need some help. I have a table with the columns ‘country’
(text), ‘sample site’ (text) and ‘date’ (timestamp with time zone):

country sample site date

AA a1 01.01.2000

AA a1 12.02.1999

AA a2 01.01.2000

BB b1 23.04.1984

BB b2 05.05.2000

BB b3 01.01.2000

CC c1 15.03.1998

CC c1 24.10.2002

CC c2 15.03.1998

What I want to know now is how often the different sampling sites were
tested. How do I have to write my query? I tried using something like

Select country, sample site, count (date) from samples

But the result was rubbish. I could Imagine that I have to create a loop for
this query (the table has overall more than 1 mio rows) to get a result
table with a list of sampling sites and the number of surveys for each of
them.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Yours, Meike