Windows XP Installation Problems..

From: "Eric Emerton" <b2bbirdies(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Windows XP Installation Problems..
Date: 2006-02-12 22:34:31
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Having problems with a WinXP Home install - 8.1.2 (same problems with
8.0.3). I use PG SQL at work under Win NT Server and of course have
zero trouble since its NTFS file system.

I am totally stumped. I have searched and searched the archives with
all kinds of threads. The Windows FAW seem to clearly state what I need
to do to solve the problem, but I simply cannot get initdb to initialize
a db cluster after install.

I receive 'The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to
prevent possible system security compromies..' on tryin to run initdb.
Yes, was running from the same win user that installed PG. But doing
the idiotic switch user on Windows XP home over to the 'postgres2' user
I indicated during install, it won't start in that fashion either.
'Service started and stopped immediately' messages.

I think perhaps I'm being stumped by 'Users and User Groups' on stupid
Windows XP. In the old days you go to a clear place in the control
panel and adjust options 'Log on as', etc from there. Now XP seems so
dumbed down, I cannot locate that. I used a user 'postgres' first, but
after several uninstall/re-install attempts I'm in some weird place with
my box where that user is there, but not really there. The FAQ pieces
tell you to have read permission on the PG install directoies, and write
on the 'to be data' directory, but having that doesn't seem to solve my
problems either.

Frustratingly yours..
Eric