MSSQL versus Postgres timing

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: MSSQL versus Postgres timing
Date: 2005-02-01 16:54:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

All is moving along well.

I have all my views and data and am testing things out a bit.

A table with 645,000 records for associates has view (basically select *
from tblassociates where clientnum = 'test')

This is taking 13 seconds in postgres and 3 seconds in MSSQL.

I tried making an index on clientnum (there is one on clinetnum, associateID
in MSSQL).

I did an analyze.

I did a set seq scan off

Is there a possibility postgres is this much slower, or (my hope) I am
missing some key concept.

Be glad to provide the view and tables etc.

Joel Fradkin