Re: Cygwin

From: "agrimas" <agrimas(at)ecogas(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: "'Gustavo Garay'" <ggaray(at)cde(dot)rieder(dot)net(dot)py>, <pgsql-es-ayuda(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cygwin
Date: 2004-05-20 12:56:06
Lists: pgsql-es-ayuda

..sip,la opcion -i referida en mi mail anterior corresponde al
"postmaster" no al initdb.

Vease:

3.3.2. Client Connection Problems
Although the error conditions possible on the client side are quite
varied and application-dependent, a few of them might be directly
related to how the server was started up. Conditions other than those
shown below should be documented with the respective client application.

psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
Is the server running on host server.joe.com and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
This is the generic "I couldn't find a server to talk to" failure. It
looks like the above when TCP/IP communication is attempted. A common
mistake is to forget the -i option to allow the postmaster to accept
TCP/IP connections.

Alternatively, you'll get this when attempting Unix-socket communication
to a local postmaster:

psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused

The last line is useful in verifying that the client is trying to
connect to the right place. If there is in fact no postmaster running
there, the kernel error message will typically be either Connection
refused or No such file or directory, as illustrated. (It is important
to realize that Connection refused in this context does not mean that
the postmaster got your connection request and rejected it -- that case
will produce a different message, as shown in Section 6.3.) Other error
messages such as Connection timed out may indicate more fundamental
problems, like lack of network connectivity.