date_part stored procs

From: "Tsoloane Moahloli" <tsoloane(at)mimecast(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: date_part stored procs
Date: 2004-03-26 14:19:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

Making me lose my cool. Here is how it goes:

I have the following Stored Proc, Which I intend to find the age in months
of a date...

CREATE FUNCTION interval_months(TIMESTAMP) RETURNS INTEGER AS '
DECLARE
docDate ALIAS FOR $1;
len INTEGER;
BEGIN
SELECT INTO len * FROM (SELECT
((date_part(''year'',age(docDate))*12)+(date_part(''month'',age(docDate))))
AS a;
RETURN len;
END
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

The problem is that it does not run and I cannot for the life of me tell
why.

I run it with the following in psql:

select interval_months(file_date) from (select min(file_date) as file_date
from fileattributes) AS a;

And I get the folllowing error:

NOTICE: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function interval_months
NOTICE: line 5 at select into variables
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ""

I can't see the error, I've lost my mind.... It's friday........

Tsoloane Moahloli
Verity South Africa (Pty) Ltd
P +27 (11) 475 1718
C +27 (83) 400-2998
<mailto:tsoloane(at)verity(dot)za(dot)com> tsoloane(at)verity(dot)za(dot)com

<http://www.verity.com/> http://www.verity.com/
Over 80% of the FORTUNE 50 trust Verity to power their Business Portal and
e-Commerce sites.

Verity is the leader in the Gartner 2002 Enterprise Search Magic Quadrant

Disclaimer
The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of Mimecast (Pty) Ltd.
Mimecast (Pty) Ltd is neither liable for the proper, complete transmission of the information contained in this communication, nor any
delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free. Mimecast (Pty) Ltd is not liable whatsoever for loss or damage resulting from the opening
of this message and/or attachments and/or the use of the information contained in this message and/or attachments.