Re: int types migrated one level lower

From: "Reshat Sabiq" <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: int types migrated one level lower
Date: 2002-12-29 21:34:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

What I meant to say is that there is nothing wrong with either ADO's, or
pgAdmin's mappings. The problem arises from the fact that MS Access has
a "downward-revised" mapping of integer types:
byte - 8 bits (this one is fine)
integer - 16 bits (i.e., int2, but normally should be int4)
long integer - 32 bits (i.e., int4, but normally should be int8)

So to get int4 as output from ADO going into postgres, Access type has
to be long integer, whereas getting int8 appears to be impossible
(unless manually) because Access does not have a 64-bit (8-byte) integer
type.

P.S. I'm using Access 2002, but I believe it's the same for all of them.
I could send the schema, but I don't know how to extract it from Access.
However, it is unnecessary, you could just look up the FieldSize Help
docs: the mappings are shown there.

P.P.S. So I converted all ints to long ints, because otherwise instead
of capacity of 2.something billion, I'd have a capacity of 32.something
thousand. And that would apply to Access itself, not just the migration.

Sincerely,
r.