creating db hangs on XP as a service

From: "Kevin" <kjmurphyjr(at)attbi(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: creating db hangs on XP as a service
Date: 2002-09-22 17:01:42
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Using postgresql 7.2.2 on XP. I just followed the
postgresql-7.2.2.README from the cygwin 1.13.12-2 install. I set up the
postgres user but never used it.

I performed the following steps:

1. install ipc-daemon as a service

# ipc-daemon -install-as-service

2. created the postgres user account - although I never use postgres
user.

#cmd /c lusrmgr.msc

# mkpasswd -l -u postgres >> /etc/passwd

3. Set the security for postgres

#cmd /c secpool.msc

4. install postmaster as service

cygrunsrv -install postmaster -path /usr/bin/postmaster -args "-D
/usr/share/postgresql/data -i" -dep ipc-daemon -termsig INT -user
postgres -shutdown

5. Create the data directory

#mkdir /usr/share/postgresql/data

6. This is where I hang! Initializing the db

# initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

Here's the output I get: (note: Everything has been installed and owned
as the administrator - Kevin)

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"Kevin".

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/share/postgresql/data. ok

Creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base . ok

Creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global. ok

Creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog. ok

Creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog. ok

Creating template database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1.

That's where it just hangs and I have to 'kill -9 <pid>' of the one
postgres process which then reports

Initdb failed.

When I go to the /usr/share/postgresql/data directory the above created
sub directories are all empty.

I tried 'net start ipc-daemon' BEFORE running init and that didn't help.

Any suggestions? Thanks.