Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)justsportsusa(dot)com>
To: <cgibbs(at)westmarkproducts(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres
Date: 2002-02-22 06:35:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry for the late reply, was on vacation :D

Lets see:

We've got a Windows based Point of Sale application in over 50 stores
nation wide tied to a Linux based server farm running PostgreSQL 7.2
via a frame-relay network. The POS application talks xml over http
to apache/php. My database has over 30 Million dollars of
transactions and has been rock solid without any issues. This is a
true enterprise system which runs our retail company. Our
applications are either web based (built with php and tools like
pdflib) or built in Windows using Borland C++ Builder & Crystal
Reports (over odbc). We use PgSQL as the backend for

A) Transaction processing (financial data)
B) Purchasing
C) Inventory Control
D) HR Control including ADP integrated Time clock
E) Customer management
F) Web site content management

As far as data quantity:

Over 20 million rows of data in 11 databases and approximately 130
tables. (haven't counted in a while)

Disk Space:

postgres(at)lurch:/usr/local$ du -sb pgsql
5178126336 pgsql

PgSQL Server Memory:

postgres(at)lurch:/usr/local$ free
total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 3868244 3857728 10516 0 11720
3654356
- -/+ buffers/cache: 191652 3676592
Swap: 297192 2040 295152

I would and do recommend PostgreSQL to anyone that wants a true
enterprise level open source rdbms (and even non-open source).

I hope that this helps!

Gavin