pg_database corrupted(?) If so, what do I do????

From: "Jonny Hinojosa" <Jonny(at)TCA(dot)net>
To: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_database corrupted(?) If so, what do I do????
Date: 1999-05-10 14:48:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Solaris 7 : snapshot dated 0506

The system has been running fine for several months. Yesterday it crashed
and I have not been able to get it back.

This is the message I get when I try to access the db from psql :

bash-2.02$ psql
Connection to database 'cdmwhere' failed.
FATAL 1: Database 'cdmwhere' does not exist.
We know this because the directory '/data/base/cdmw H' does not
exist.
You can create a database with the SQL command CREATE DATABASE.
To see what databases exist, look at the subdirectories of
'/data/base/'
.

bash-2.02$

Why does it think the directory '/data/base/cdmw H' should exist? Shouldn't
that be '/data/base/cdmwhere'?

Any ideas on how I can recover?
Jonny