Unable to run one pl/pgSQL function :-(

From: "Bruno Baguette" <bruno(dot)baguette(at)netcourrier(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unable to run one pl/pgSQL function :-(
Date: 2002-06-21 20:59:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I've written a little pl/pgSQL function in order to use it on a little
postgreSQL database :

CREATE function tuple_add(VARCHAR(200)) RETURNS text AS
'
DECLARE
Response text;
PeopleName ALIAS FOR $1;
BEGIN
INSERT INTO PEOPLES VALUES (SEQUENCE_Id.NEXTVAL(),PeopleName);
return Response;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

When I add this function to my database, I don't receive any error
message.

But I don't success to use this function. I've tried like that :

mabd=> SELECT tuple_add('One try');
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "("
mabd=> SELECT tuple_add("One try");
ERROR: Attribute 'One try' not found

The PEOPLE database just contains two columns : an INTEGER and one
VARCHAR(200). And the SEQUENCE_Id sequence I use is existing. I've also
checked that pl/pgSQL has been activated to my database.

The Response variable is to be used to get the eventual exception, but I
have to find how I can do that.

Can you explain me how can I use my pl/pgSQL function ?

Thanks in advance ! :-)

Bruno BAGUETTE - bruno(dot)baguette(at)netcourrier(dot)com