Announcing SQLPage: Build Dynamic Web Applications in SQL
Posted on 2023-07-12 by SQLPage
SQLPage is a free and open-source tool for building beautiful web apps entirely in SQL.
It is a small single binary executable that runs a web server, executes
.sql files on demand, and renders the results using a wide array of pre-defined web components.
Writing an application entirely in SQL is quite unconventional. Here is why I still think it is a great choice in some cases :
- Database-Centric Approach: Keep your database at the heart of your application.
- Rapid Prototyping: Validate ideas and iterate quickly towards a minimum viable product. Write a basic web app in one tenth of the time it would have taken with a frontend and a backend framework.
- Don't repeat yourself : Model your problem domain just once: in your database. Don't repeat it across three code bases.
- Spend your time on your core idea: Don't spend time picking colors for your buttons or choosing the right ORM for your new backend language.
Of course, if you are designing a huge application with a complex backend logic, SQLPage is not for you. But if you have an idea for a cool CRUD app that you have been postponing for months, you should try building it with SQLPage !
🔑 Key Features
- Full SQL Support: Insert, update, and delete data through an auto-generated Web UI. Write nothing but raw SQL.
- Seamless Integration: Connect SQLPage to any existing PostgreSQL database effortlessly and start exploiting its data with a single standard
- Web Standards Support: Read and write HTTP cookies, manage user authentication, handle form submissions and URL parameters.
- Fast And Secure: Written in Rust, no memory corruption, no SQL injections, no XSS.
💼 Use Cases:
Some cool things people have built with SQLPage include
- Internal Dashboards: Empower teams with data-driven insights.
- Small Business Intelligence Apps: Build powerful applications for analysis and exploration.
- Admin Interfaces: Manage and interact with PostgreSQL data effectively.
- A game: Validate and iterate on the idea swiftly.
- A knowledge management tool: Replace an excel file for knowledge management in an enterprise.
Here are the two SQL queries that build the components list on SQLPage's official documentation website, which is itself built with SQLPage :
SELECT 'list' AS component, 'Built-In SQLPage components' AS title;
name AS title,
'?component='||name||'#component' AS link,
$component = name AS active
order by name;
Check out the website examples in the official git repository for more examples.
💡 Get Started
Explore the possibilities and limitations of SQLPage on the website builder's homepage and read the tutorial on building SQL websites.
Join the SQLPage community to discuss your PostgreSQL-powered web apps.
Don't hesitate to come to the forum to discuss your thoughts and ideas !
Be part of the open-source project and contribute to SQLPage's growth on GitHub. Come and leave us a star 🌟.
Unleash the power of SQL-driven web application development with SQLPage and elevate your PostgreSQL experience! Let's build together! 🚀