plpgsql select into

From: Roger Mason <rmason(at)mun(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: plpgsql select into
Date: 2021-08-20 10:38:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I want to take a multiline text column from one table, split it into
rows and insert it into another table. Eventually this function will
also need insert the 'id' field and a timestamp into the other table but
for now I'm focused on dealing with the multiline text. I could code
all this up in C++ but I'm doing it as a plpgsql function so that the
function can be called from a trigger when the data are inserted into
the database. So far an exercise in frustration. Here is may latest
effort:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_info (id text)
RETURNS TABLE (
tabular_info text
)
AS $function$
BEGIN
RETURN query WITH a AS (
SELECT
regexp_split_to_table(info_out, '\n') AS info
FROM
public.results
WHERE
public.results.jid = id
)
SELECT
* INTO tabular_info
FROM
a RETURN;
END;
$function$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

I execute the function:

select get_info('1043_1');

ERROR: cannot open SELECT query as cursor
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function get_info(text) line 3 at RETURN QUERY

Perhaps what I'm trying to do is impossible, in which case it would be
useful to know if a trigger can be set up to call out to an external
command.

I appreciate any help offered.

Thanks,
Roger