Re: won't drop the view

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Oleg Lebedev <olebedev(at)waterford(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: won't drop the view
Date: 2001-12-18 01:08:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

Oleg,

> 1. I am using PostgreSQL 7.1.2
> 2. Linux RedHat 7.1
> 3. Pentium II 400 with 256 Megs of RAM
> 14 out of 17 Gigs are free (there is only one disk on this
> system)
> 4. Here is the view definition:
<snip>
> 5. None of the tables involved in the view has BLOBs in it.
> Row count for the tables are as follows:
> activity: 253
> media: 12406
> set: 826
> intsetmedia: 22916
> mediatypemap: 25
> datatable: 318
> dtcol: 1698
> dtrow: 18406
> dtrowmedia: 10238
>
> 6. I didn't have debug on when running vacuum, so I can't tell you if
> it
> raised any errors.

Damn. I can only really help with the obvious things, and you've
covered most of those. That view should take a long time, given the
complexity ... but a long time is 30-60 seconds, not 10 minutes.

Therefore:

1. Turn up the debug level in postgres.conf
2. Re-start postgresql, and open a console to tail the log.
3. Watch the log as you:
a) Vacuum Analyze
b) SELECT from the view again
4. Hope that one of the core team looks into your question.

Beyond that, we're down to monkeying with Postgres' memory settings;
it's possible (but not likely) that you've exhausted the available sort
memory and Postgres is getting stuck in swap-access. However, that's
just a stab in the dark.

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533