Re: It's dead and won't get up!!

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "KUCHARSKI, DAVID R(dot)" <dave(at)iemco(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: It's dead and won't get up!!
Date: 2001-11-09 01:06:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

David,

> That was it. Thanks! No back up of postgres, but I do still have the
> database. Time to reinstall postgres. I tried using the rpm from the
> redhat7.1 disk to reinstall,but that didn't recreate the template1
> file for
> me. What else do I need to do? or would i be better served to go to
> ftp
> site and get version 7.1.3 and go from source and reload that way?
> dave

No, Template1 is created when you run the Initdb program. It will only
run if you have previously cleared the data directory. SO:

mkdir /root/pgbackup
cd /usr/local/pgsql/data
mv * /root/pgbackup/
cd ..
cd bin
./initdb

Then restore your database from the pg_dump file. You may find that you
have to manually create some users in Template1 if your database was
created by a user other than postgres.

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533