Re: Version Numbering

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version Numbering
Date: 2002-12-14 20:21:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Folks,

> This license was driven mostly by RedHat renaming PostgreSQL into
> RedHat
> database, a few days after the development of pgAdmin II started.
>
> Recently, RedHat did a lot of harm to KDE3 in their 8.0 edition. Did
> you find
> any Kpackage in RedHat 8.0? In a few months, people may have to pay
> downlad the software they wrote on their own!

I don't agree with the Red-Hat-bashing sentiment expressed in this and
elsewhere. Sure, RH did rename their PostgreSQL version *for branding
and marketing reasons*. However, they are employing at least one
full-time PostgreSQL hacker, and their "value-add" administration tools
have, at this point, all been contributed to the community. Red Hat,
regardless of their *marketing* decisions on what versions and
alterations of OSS software they distribute, have *always* made the
source available to their Linux products.

The same cannot be said of SuSE, Caldera, or TurboLinux, all of whom
have *proprietary* software and tools they use to support their
services business. Yet because Red Hat is more successful re-branding
OSS than other distributors are with selling proprietary extentions,
Red Hat gets all the flack.

Personally, I use SuSE because I don't like BlueCurve and I feel that
SuSE does a better server distribution. But I feel strongly that Red
Hat deserves recognition for maintaining their dedication to OSS, and
not a bunch of grumbling about "the Microsoft of Linux".

-Josh Berkus