Re: What does this tell me?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What does this tell me?
Date: 2002-10-09 04:01:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bruce, Sean,

> Oh, yes, you are right. My hardware tuning guide mentions it.
> Strange
> it is called the transaction log file:
>
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance/
>
> Unless you are seeing this more freqently than every minute, it
> should
> be fine.

Actually, it's apparently a real problem, because the function never
completes. Each cycle of "recycling transaction logs" takes longer
and longer, and eventually locks up completely.

What the function is doing is a succession of data cleanup procedures,
updating the same table about 50 times. I will be very thankful for
the day when I can commit within a procedure.

Unfortunately, I am already at the maximum number of WAL files (64).
What do I do now?

-Josh Berkus