Re: login problem

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Ernesto Jardim <ernesto(at)ipimar(dot)pt>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: login problem
Date: 2002-09-10 15:51:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ernesto,

> I'm using pg 7.2 in s SuSE 8.0 box.
>
> I have no problem loging from the command line with
>
> psql -U ernesto -d docmgr
>
> but I'm unable to login from pgaccess or TOra. It gives an error of
> connection refused and asks if the server is running on localhost and
> port 5432.

How did you start PostgreSQL? If you started it without the " -i"
option, you will not be able to connect any way other than the command
line on the local machine. This sounds like your problem.

Be warned that SuSE's postgresql startup scripts are unreliable. I
keep meaning to pester the folks in Germany about this, but am rather
busy ...

Start PostgreSQL with:

postgres(at)localhost > pg_ctl -o "-i" -l /log/file/name -D
/pgsql/data/directory start

-Josh Berkus