Re: Stored Procedures

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Wendy Powley <wendy(at)cs(dot)queensu(dot)ca>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stored Procedures
Date: 2002-05-07 17:35:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

Wendy,

> Is it possible to write a stored procedure which takes a struct as a
> parameter? I'd like to be able to pass in some info via a struct &
> return some info via another struct something like this:

What's a "Struct"? It's not a standard SQL term, and I don't recognize
it.

> struct in_struct {
> integer i, j;
> }
>
> struct out_struct {
> integer k;
> char p;
> }

Are you trying for a custom data type, or more of a record? Postgres
supports both.

> create function myfunc(in_struct, out_struct) .....

Postgres does not support output parameters, at present. Functions
have one return value of a defined data type (which may be a custom
data type or a record, if you wish).

-Josh Berkus