Re: Ticket 3: groups of servers

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ticket 3: groups of servers
Date: 2010-04-19 11:03:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> What do you want with a right click in a group node? access to the
> properties?

Same as other nodes - Add xxx etc. It's not that important though.

>> Y'know - as I type I can't help thinking that the correct way to do
>> this is to consider the root node to be the group, in which we
>> currently have a single, fixed group called 'Servers'. Additional
>> groups would then be additional root nodes... but I don't know if you
>> can do that on all operating systems.
>>

> Done. Seems to work everywhere I checked.

There's something pretty broken. I'm not sure how to describe it
though... see if you can make sense of this!

- I edited a server. It had picked up my 'custom' group correctly, but
also had a blank entry in the list. I expected to see the default
'Servers' there.
- I moved the server to 'blank'. Nothing seemed to happen.
- I looked at the properties for the server again. Now I only have 2
blank groups listed.
- I restarted pgAdmin. Now I have 2 identical servers under 'Servers'.

What I would expect to see is:

- Any existing servers automatically get moved into the 'Servers'
group on first run of the new version.
- Any new servers default to the first group in the combo box. This
will obviously be 'Servers' on a new installation.
- The Servers group is merely a default that's always available.
Otherwise it is no different from any other group.

Regards, Dave

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company