Re: Server process exited with unexpected status 128.

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Андрей Репко <repko(at)sart(dot)must-ipra(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server process exited with unexpected status 128.
Date: 2005-09-29 06:17:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Is it sensible to try to prevent people from raising the GUC variable
> higher than the platform will allow? It seems we can know the limit on
> Windows, but on most other platforms I don't think there's any good way
> to find it out. (Which is why max_stack_depth is a SUSET variable ---
> you're assumed to know what you are doing if you change it.)

I have PL/Java users that set a ridiculously high value in
max_stack_depth just to circumvent the check altogether since it breaks
when the executes code using another thread then main (see previous
discussion "stack depth limit exceeded problem" started 9/23 for more info).

If you plan to limit the GUC setting, please, *please*, also provide a
way for PL/Java to switch stack_base. I will write the patch immediately
if you approve.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren