Re: initdb fails on ultra2 sparc64, freebsd 5.4

From: Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews(at)supernews(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb fails on ultra2 sparc64, freebsd 5.4
Date: 2005-05-21 04:30:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2005-05-13, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> David Walker <david(at)cosmicfires(dot)com> writes:
>> On a Sun ultra2 sparc64 initdb hangs here:
>
> Where's "here"? Build with --enable-debug, then attach to the stuck
> process with gdb and get a stack trace.

I've just done some analysis on this on David's machine - the bottom line
is that -enable-thread-safety is broken on this platform, but I've not
yet established for certain whether this is a bug in freebsd or incorrect
compiler options in pg's configure (will be looking into that in due
course)

The reason for the hang is that the sending end of the pipe from initdb
to postgres is not being closed by popen(), so postgres never sees EOF
on it. In this context I am suspicious of the fact that while libpq is
being built with threading, the apps which link against it do not appear
to be.

--
Andrew, Supernews