can't read - permissions error (13)

From: "Timothy Morris" <tdmorris(at)med(dot)umich(dot)edu>
To: <Pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: can't read - permissions error (13)
Date: 2001-03-28 18:43:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Greetings,

My office installation, Mandrake 7.1 / python 1.5.2 / pq 7.0.2 works great.

At home, Mandrake 7.2 / same python and pg gives a permissions error of backend cannot COPY
due to permissions error (13).

I tried all combinations of adding postgres to my group / adding me to postgres group and setting my /home ... to group postgres.

Still no joy. If I cp the files I want to import to /home/postgres/data, it will read them.

The only differences that I can find between the two machines is that in the office, all appropriate processes run as postgres with UID = 28.

At home there is one process "dip" that runs as UID 40, other postgres related processes run as postgres with uid=40.

Does any one know what "dip'" is and why it had the same uid as postgres?

When I "\i" in psql, the file that contains my sql creates, grants, etc. works fine from my home directory until it hits the COPY ... FROM instruction.

The sql and text data files are identical home and work as are the directory structures.

Please ... any other things to try?

Timothy D. Morris, MS
Department of Family Medicine
tdmorris(at)med(dot)umich(dot)edu
voice 734 998-7120 x 339
page 734 670-1366
Linux is like a TeePee - No Windows, No Gates, Apache Inside.