Re: How to insert "date" as timestamp

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <rwa(at)mosaic-ag(dot)com>
Cc: <aydin(dot)toprak(at)intengo(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to insert "date" as timestamp
Date: 2005-10-13 14:04:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Good point regarding the recent timestamp fixes, although
I think they are in the dev402 jar, so one need not go to CVS
and do a build.

I definitely would not use timestamp without time zone even
within a single time zone unless that time zone didn't use
daylight saving time, or I was very confident that I didn't need
to record times in the wee hours on days when the time
shifted. It's always safer to use timestamp with time zone
when what you want to record is an instant in time.

The only use case I've been able to think of where timestamp
without time zone is semantically correct is where a publisher
sets a release for, say, the next Harry Potter book. Having
attended a late night book release party this summer so that
my kids could pick up their book as soon as 12:01 a.m. rolled
into our time zone, I can see at least one use case for this
data type.

-Kevin

>>> Roland Walter <rwa(at)mosaic-ag(dot)com> 10/13/05 3:08 AM >>>
And I would use TIMESTAMP without a time zone, in the case I know all
database clients are in the same time zone.