Re: autovacuum daemon question...

From: Jeff Bohmer <jdblist(at)visionlink(dot)org>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>,Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Bohmer <jdblist(at)visionlink(dot)org>,Joe Maldonado <joe(dot)maldonado(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum daemon question...
Date: 2005-11-10 20:06:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

>>>The DBA can elect to keep or discard stats data across DB restart,
>>>in fact I think the default value for this GUC var was set to true
>>>for the 8.1 release.
>>
>>I thought we were discussing a theoretical / not yet in existence GUC
>>var...
>
>I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that you were talking about
>maintaining  the data in the theoretical / not yet in existence
>autovacuum stats table through database restart, the stats system
>already has a GUC var that dictates whether or not it dumps it's
>data upon DB restart.
>
>Matt

AFAIK, a restart does not affect the VACUUMed-ness of anything.
Keeping these (currently nonexistent autovacuum) stats across
restarts would be helpful if stats_reset_on_server_start=on.

Unless I misunderstand, if stats_reset_on_server_start=off, these
(currently nonexistent autovacuum) stats would only be relevant for
autovacuum's VACUUM activity and not it's ANALYZE activity.  In which
case, it seems ideal to keep autovacuum VACUUM stats regardless of
the GUC setting, while autovacuum ANALYZE stats should follow it.
But if the ideal is impractical, making both ANALYZE and VACUUM stats
follow the GUC would still be real nice.

- Jeff

--

Jeff Bohmer
VisionLink, Inc.