Re: Need help with SGML again

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help with SGML again
Date: 2003-10-15 22:56:19
Lists: pgsql-docs
At 9:46 AM -0700 10/15/03, Josh Berkus wrote:
>Peter,
>
>>  You should consider the documentation like a book.  That has two
>>  consequences:
>>
>>  1. Linking to anything that is not a formal object (having a title and a
>>  number) does not render well in print.  ("for more information, see
>>  paragraph 3 on page 15"?)
>
>I see what you mean.   Given that I do 95% of my doc browsing in HTML, this
>seems very redundant to me, though; I think it would be interesting to see
>how many users refer to a paper version of the docs.  We may find it's a tiny
>minority.

Well, just as a data point I DL/print the docs when I upgrade
Postgres and keep the book on my shelf for reference.  I may be a bit
of a curmudgeon, but there isn't a computer display around that's as
high-quality and portable as a piece of paper.
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu